User experience (UX) is an important part of software development. When a user experiences your software, they’re judging it based on their trust in the brand, their first impressions, and whether they find the software easy to use.
If you’re responsible for designing or testing software, you need to conduct a UX audit before launching a new product or updating an existing one. A UX audit identifies areas of weakness and helps you understand your users better so that you can develop the right strategies going forward. A successful audit will give insights into why people are using a particular feature or not using it at all. Conducting this audit requires a lot of research and effort, but the benefits are well worth it. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about conducting a successful UX audit.
What is a UX Audit?
A UX audit is a detailed analysis of your business’s digital properties, including websites and apps. It involves inspecting data, conducting surveys, and testing new features. You can use the findings from the audit to make adjustments to your digital properties that will improve customer experience. A UX audit can be performed on any digital property. It can be as simple as looking at the analytics data and website traffic, or as in-depth as testing new features with customers to get feedback on their experience. A UX audit has the following goals:
- Define customer personas: Find out who your customers are, including their age, gender, lifestyle and habits, and what problems they need solving. UX is customer-driven, so it’s important to focus on their needs and wants.
- UX audit: Find out what your competitors are doing well, as well as areas where they might be falling behind. You can do this manually (i.e. read reviews and see what features people like and dislike) or with software like spy tools.
- Analyze and audit analytics data: Inspect how people are using your current digital properties so that you can make improvements and find out where there are areas of weakness. You can do this manually by inspecting traffic data and website analytics, or use software such as heat maps.
Why Conduct a UX Audit?
Why does your business need a UX audit? The digital landscape is constantly changing and being updated, meaning that businesses that aren’t keeping up will lose out. A UX audit helps you to keep up with the latest trends and technologies so that you can make sure your products are competitive and fit for purpose. Businesses that have a strong UX have a competitive advantage over businesses that don’t. They provide a better customer experience, and they earn customer loyalty and trust.
They also increase their chances of getting more customers and make sure that existing customers keep coming back. A UX audit will help you to understand your customers better and give you insights into how you can improve your products and services to better meet their needs. It will also help you to figure out how to get more customers and keep them coming back for more.
How to Conduct a Successful UX Audit?
There are many ways to conduct an audit, but below are some key tips to keep in mind:
- Select the area that you want to audit: You can audit as many digital properties as you like, but you need to prioritize. Start with the most important products or features and keep adding from there.
- Define goals and objectives: What exactly do you want to achieve with the audit? What are your specific goals and objectives? Make sure that you write them down and keep them visible so that you can stay focused.
- Gather data and insights: Inspect data and insights to get a better understanding of your customers. This is your main focus, and it’s what will give you the insights that you need.
Find out why people are using (or not using) your app or website.
This is the first step in your audit, and it will help you to understand your customers better and what they’re looking for in your products and services. There are a couple of ways that you can do this:
- Conduct a survey: Get in-depth insights from customers by conducting a survey. You can use a survey tool to make the process easier. You can find out what customers like about your products and services and what they don’t like. It’s important to ask open-ended questions that don’t have yes or no answers.
- Analyse reviews and feedback: Customer reviews and feedback are an excellent way to get a better understanding of your customers. You should be monitoring your digital properties for reviews. You can also use sentiment analysis to get a better understanding of how your customers feel about your products and services.
Find out what’s currently working and what isn’t.
Areas that don’t work well in your business are areas that you need to fix. They might not be causing you any problems right now, but they could pose a problem in the future. Areas that aren’t working well can include your website design, onboarding, UI, UX, and performance. If you notice any issues, you need to determine what the issue is so that you can fix it and avoid any future problems.
Define specific user experience goals.
Your audit will be more effective if you know what you’re trying to achieve. For example, you want to create a better user experience on your website or you want to learn more about your customers. Narrowing your goals will help you to stay focused and give you a sense of direction for your audit.
Based on the above, conduct usability testing of your most important feature/s.
Usability testing is a great way to get feedback on a specific feature within your website or app. It helps you to understand the user experience better and identify areas of weakness. You should test your most important and most used features because they’re the areas that are most likely to cause problems. You can test your website or app in person or remotely. There are a lot of services that offer remote testing, such as UsabilityHub or UserTesting. You can also conduct an in-person test by inviting your friends and family to try out your website or app.
Get expert feedback on your product.
You can get feedback from customers, but an even better source of information is from experts. You can get feedback from industry experts and analysts who have years of experience and can give you insights that customers won’t be able to provide.
A UX audit is an important part of UX design. It allows you to understand your customers better and identify areas of weakness in your digital properties. A successful audit will give insights into why people are using (or not using) your app or website and provide you with ideas on how to improve your product. Conducting an audit can be challenging, but the benefits are well worth it.